From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux USB security holes.
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 06:10:52
1 On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 12:02 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I ran up on this link. Is there any truth to it and should any of us
6 >> Gentooers be worried about it?
7 >>
8 >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/07/linux_usb_security_bugs/
9 >>
10 >> Isn't Linux supposed to be more secure than this??
11 >>
12 >> Dale
13 >>
14 >> :-) :-)
18 > To reply to all that posted so far. I did see that it requires physical
19 > access, like a lot of other things. Once a person has physical access,
20 > there are a number of things that can go wrong.
21 >
22 > It does seem to be one of those things that while possible, has anyone
23 > been able to do it in the real world and even without physical access?
24 > Odds are, no.
27 The most widely publicized example is STUXNET. There are also reports
28 that malicious USB keys with driver-level exploits are sometimes used
29 for industrial espionage.
30
31 The key point being that in either case, someone is spending a lot of
32 money to research and set up a plausible attack.
33
34 > Still, all things considered, Linux is pretty secure. BSD is more
35 > secure from what I've read but Linux is better than windoze.
36 >
37 > Dale
38 >