From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 02:13:26
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I'm going to bet this drive is out of warranty. I'm pretty sure it is
4 >> over 2 years since I bought it.
5 >>
6 >> Once I replace that drive, I'll dd the thing and see what it does then.
7 >> It'll either break it or give me a fresh start to play with and see how
8 >> long it lasts.
9 > Well, finding out for sure is a 30 second process, so up to you
10 > whether it is worth the time.
11 >
12 > smartctl will give you the serial/model number, and you punch that
13 > into a website, and it will say whether it is under warranty or not.
14 >
15 > If you plan to wipe the disk before return, print out the results of
16 > smartctl -a first, since wiping will probably clear the pending
17 > sectors.
18 >
19 > But, it is your drive, so do whatever you want with it! :)
20 >
21 > Rich
25 I do plan to check and see if it is under warranty. I'll do that after
26 I get things moved over and can test a bit more. Who knows, it could be
27 Murphy and he will just leave at some point. ;-) I'm pretty sure this
28 drive is close to three years old tho. Heck, I can go look at the
29 Newegg order history and find out. I would think the manufacturer goes
30 by the date made where a invoice dated later would tend to slide that
31 out further.
32
33 Either way, I'll find out. If it is under warranty and can be swapped
34 out, that would solve a few issues. I'll have one backup drive at
35 least. ;-)
36
37 Dale
38