From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:38:53
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm going to bet this drive is out of warranty. I'm pretty sure it is
3 > over 2 years since I bought it.
4 >
5 > Once I replace that drive, I'll dd the thing and see what it does then.
6 > It'll either break it or give me a fresh start to play with and see how
7 > long it lasts.
8
9 Well, finding out for sure is a 30 second process, so up to you
10 whether it is worth the time.
11
12 smartctl will give you the serial/model number, and you punch that
13 into a website, and it will say whether it is under warranty or not.
14
15 If you plan to wipe the disk before return, print out the results of
16 smartctl -a first, since wiping will probably clear the pending
17 sectors.
18
19 But, it is your drive, so do whatever you want with it! :)
20
21 Rich