From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:01:47
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> thegeezer wrote:
4 >>> On 06/25/2014 08:49 AM, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> thegeezer wrote:
6 >>> this says there are 104 pending sectors i.e. bad blocks on the drive
7 >>> that have not been reallocatd yet
8 >> Wonder why it hasn't? Isn't it supposed to do that sort of thing itself?
9 >>
10 > It can't relocate the sectors until it successfully reads them, or
11 > until something else writes over them.
12 >
13 > However, the last few drives I've had this happen to never really
14 > relocated things. If I scrubbed the drives mdadm would overwrite the
15 > unreadable sectors, which should trigger a relocation, but then a day
16 > or two later the errors would show up again. So, the drive firmware
17 > must be avoiding relocation or something. Either that or there is a
18 > large region of the drive that is failing (which would make sense) and
19 > I was just playing whack-a-mole with the bad sectors. In any case, if
20 > the drive is under warranty I've yet to have a complaint returning it
21 > with a copy of the smartctl output showing the failed test/etc. With
22 > advance replacement I can keep the old drive until the new one
23 > arrives.
24
25 I'm going to bet this drive is out of warranty. I'm pretty sure it is
26 over 2 years since I bought it.
27
28 Once I replace that drive, I'll dd the thing and see what it does then.
29 It'll either break it or give me a fresh start to play with and see how
30 long it lasts.
33 >> I usually just run the test manually but I sort of had family stuff
34 >> going on for the past year, almost a year anyway. Sort of behind on
35 >> things although I have been doing my normal updates.
36 > rc-update add smartd default
37 >
38 > I don't know that I even had to configure it - it is set to email
39 > root@localhost when there is a problem. I also run mdadm to monitor
40 > raid.
41 >
42 > I don't think anybody makes a monitor for btrfs, though my boot is
43 > mirrored across all my btrfs drives using mdadm so a drive failure
44 > should be detected in any case. I need to check up on that, though -
45 > I'd like an email if something goes wrong with btrfs storage.
46
47 I'm using lvm here. I also don't have a mail server set up which is why
48 I run them manually. I usually do it once a month or so but had some
49 family issues to pop up.
52 >> I ordered a drive. It should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I
53 >> shutdown and re-seated all the cables, power too. I got the test running
54 >> again but results is a few hours off yet. It did pass the short test
55 >> tho. I'm not sure that it means much.
56 > Short test generally doesn't do much - you need the long ones. I'd be
57 > shocked if it passed with offline uncorrectable sectors.
58 >
59 > And do check on your warranty. You can migrate all your data to the
60 > new drive, and then replace the old one as a backup disk. Either use
61 > it with raid, or as an offline backup. If you want to do raid you can
62 > set up mdadm with a degraded raid1 so that you can copy your data over
63 > from your old drive, and then when it is replaced you just partition
64 > the new one, add it to the raid, and watch it rebuild automatically.
65 >
66 > Rich
70 I figured the short test wouldn't say much. I am backing up some of the
71 stuff tho. I do have a 750GB drive that was empty. It won't save it
72 all but it is a start. Test should have been done by now but I guess
73 the copy process is slowing it down. I'm getting this so far:
74
75 # 1 Extended offline Self-test routine in progress 70%
76 16387 -
77
78 < dale twiddles his thumbs >
79