From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:31:13
1 >>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda (or what ever)
2 >>>
3 >>
4 >> After reading over all the info here, I think I'm going to go with dd
5 >> since the data isn't too sensitive.
6 >>
7 >> I created a "9.1_Live_x64" USB key with unetbootin, but the laptop
8 >> won't boot to it.  I have another 512MB USB key that it boots to just
9 >> fine.  Could my 8GB key be non-bootable?  The laptop's CD drive isn't
10 >> working so I need another way to install an easy copy of Linux after I
11 >> dd.
12 >>
13 >>  - Grant
17 > Wouldn't Knoppix work?  I'm pretty sure it has the dd command and I know you
18 > can install Gentoo from it.  Since there are some versions of Knoppis that
19 > would fit on a CD, I would see if one of those would fit on the 512Mb
20 > thingy.
21
22 I really don't want to go through the entire Gentoo installation just
23 to ship this thing off. I'm looking for something along the lines of
24 click, click click....
25
26 So you think there could be a non-software (hardware? firmware?)
27 difference between the two USB keys that allows one to be booted from
28 and not the other?
29
30 - Grant
33 > Damn Small Linux may be a option too.  Not sure about installing from it
34 > tho.  I guess the network and stuff would work from it.
35 >
36 > Just some thoughts.
37 >
38 > Dale