From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:21:29
1 Grant wrote:
2 >> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda (or what ever)
5 > After reading over all the info here, I think I'm going to go with dd
6 > since the data isn't too sensitive.
7 >
8 > I created a "9.1_Live_x64" USB key with unetbootin, but the laptop
9 > won't boot to it. I have another 512MB USB key that it boots to just
10 > fine. Could my 8GB key be non-bootable? The laptop's CD drive isn't
11 > working so I need another way to install an easy copy of Linux after I
12 > dd.
13 >
14 > - Grant
18 Wouldn't Knoppix work? I'm pretty sure it has the dd command and I know
19 you can install Gentoo from it. Since there are some versions of
20 Knoppis that would fit on a CD, I would see if one of those would fit on
21 the 512Mb thingy.
22
23 Damn Small Linux may be a option too. Not sure about installing from it
24 tho. I guess the network and stuff would work from it.
25
26 Just some thoughts.
27
28 Dale