From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM on VM or not? - WAS Re: Best filesystem for virtualized gentoo mail server - WAS: vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 00:56:03
1 On Sun, 2013-04-21 at 12:56 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Yes I can't take snapshots with ESXi, but everything I've read says
3 > that
4 > for these to be consistent, they need to be done when the VM is
5 > shutdown.
6 >
7 > Also, they take a LONG time, whereas an LVM snapshot happens almost
8 > immediately.
9
10 This reveals a significant advantage to using LVM, if you wish to use
11 snapshots as the target for backups. I personally prefer this, as I
12 mentioned in another e-mail in this thread, due to getting a "crash
13 consistent" view of the disk since it will not change while the backup
14 is in progress. The fact that LVM snapshots happen instantly is an
15 advantage, and also that you can perform the snapshots while the system
16 is running.
19 Randy Barlow