From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM on VM or not? - WAS Re: Best filesystem for virtualized gentoo mail server - WAS: vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:56:35
1 On 2013-04-21 12:27 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 21-Apr-13 18:15, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Ok, googling reveals lots of conflicting opinions about using LVM in a
5 >> VM environment.
6 >>
7 >> I was wanting to use it mainly for its snapshot ability (to get
8 >> consistent backups of my mailstore and mysql DBs).
9 >>
10 >> Also it would be very nice to be able to resize things if needed (I have
11 >> adequate storage available).
12 >>
13 >> But I've found lots of opinions that using LVM in a virtualized
14 >> environment can lead to data corruption, and if this is true, I'd rather
15 >> not risk it...
16 >>
17 >> So, LVM or not?
18 >
19 > You can make snapshots from ESXi (btw snapshot is *not* backup),
20 > and you can resize VM-disks as well. So the right question is:
21 > What are the LVM features I need? If I do not need any, then why
22 > should I bother with it?
23
24 Yes I can't take snapshots with ESXi, but everything I've read says that
25 for these to be consistent, they need to be done when the VM is shutdown.
26
27 Also, they take a LONG time, whereas an LVM snapshot happens almost
28 immediately.