From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM on VM or not? - WAS Re: Best filesystem for virtualized gentoo mail server - WAS: vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:29:08
1 On 21-Apr-13 18:15, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 >
3 > Ok, googling reveals lots of conflicting opinions about using LVM in a
4 > VM environment.
5 >
6 > I was wanting to use it mainly for its snapshot ability (to get
7 > consistent backups of my mailstore and mysql DBs).
8 >
9 > Also it would be very nice to be able to resize things if needed (I have
10 > adequate storage available).
11 >
12 > But I've found lots of opinions that using LVM in a virtualized
13 > environment can lead to data corruption, and if this is true, I'd rather
14 > not risk it...
15 >
16 > So, LVM or not?
17
18 You can make snapshots from ESXi (btw snapshot is *not* backup),
19 and you can resize VM-disks as well. So the right question is:
20 What are the LVM features I need? If I do not need any, then why
21 should I bother with it?
22
23 Jarry
27 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
28 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.