From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:29:08
1 * Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Even if they are pro forma open source they are mainly usefull
4 > for the very distribution.
5
6 No, many patches are quite generic or could be easily fixed
7 to be that. OSS-QM makes sharing and automatic notification
8 on new patches easier.
9
10 > In this sense they are the propriatary work and the capital of
11 > each distro. So I guess it will be difficult to convince them
12 > to store their patches into a common QM repository.
13
14 That's why I'm working on automatic imports.
15
16 For Debian packages (at least those complying the recent
17 guidelines) it's almost done (for now just for a few packages
18 as proof-of-concept, but can be made more generic).
19
20 Gentoo is a bit trickier, since patching is called explicitly
21 from each ebuild (sometimes even useflag-dependent). The Gentoo
22 devs could help a great deal if they would set a policy like:
23
24 * all patches have to be normalized (eg. *always* apply w/ -p1)
25 * a easily machine-readable (eg. via grep+sed ;-o) list of patches
26 to apply on a specific version (eg. in the ebuild or a separate
27 file)
28 * make the patches independent from useflags
29 * do sourcetree changes _exclusively_ via patches (no file copy-in's
30 or directly changing files w/ sed etc)
31
32 > That's true as far as we speak of unixoid environments. To port
33 > programs to other environments requires more efforts than just a
34 > proper build system.
35
36 Yes. The individual package has to sit ontop of properly defined
37 interfaces (eg. POSIX), and require the target to provide that
38 (if it doesn't, fix the target's system libs, toolchain, etc).
39
40 > The original idea of Java was, to bring a standard layer into
41 > any environment, that would remove the need of ports.
42
43 Yes, but that's a matter of the basic class libraries, not
44 the language. The same can also be done in plain C.
45
46 > > The interesting point in Java is that it is an (well, was) an
47 > > very cleanly defined virtual machine (even virtual processor)
48 >
49 > One interesting point is, that it is was very successfull, but on
50 > completly different fields than origninally targeted. Most Java
51 > doesn't run platform independent programs, but runs servers, that
52 > don't need to be platform independent at all.
53
54 Well, that's a quite strange effect. IMHO that doesnt have anything
55 to do w/ the platform agnosticism, but the language concepts which
56 might be better suited for those applications.
57
58 > Java was also designed to facilitate programming comparing C. Still
59 > Java itself isn't the last clue. Take the horrible way to copy a
60 > simple array.
61
62 Yes, there're also other concepts I miss in Java, eg. native
63 associative arrays, language constructs for parallelisms, etc.
64
65 > Briegel is strongly focused on the technolgical basics, without
66 > talking of all possible usecases. At least mine was not addressed. :-)
67
68 Yes, it's focused on the basic job of building packges to virtually
69 any target platform (from embedded to clusters ;-p). A bit similar
70 philosophy as git ;-)
71
72 > Still Briegel looks like a one-man-show while there are already
73 > communities behind the Cygwin and the Gentoo candidate.
74
75 True, right now I'm the only active developer here. Historically
76 it had been an proprietary product as building block for very
77 customer-specific setups, which I published as oss a while ago.
78
79 > What is your strategia to build up a community?
80
81 Actually, I don't really have any. All I can do is offering it
82 as OSS and do a little bit advocacy here and there - I don't
83 have the resources to build up real community structures all
84 alone. Of course, anybody's welcomed to join in.
87 cu
88 --
90 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
91
92 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
93 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
95 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme