From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 15:02:41
1 Hello Enrico,
2
3 I did read with interest the informations about Briegel, and the
4 oss-qm idea. I also looked into the PDF.
5
6 I like the argumentation and the overall idea of such a repository.
7 Maybe it will work.
8
9 I fear there are some drawbacks. In my estimation you can compare
10 patches to closed sources to some degree. Even if they are pro forma
11 open source they are mainly usefull for the very distribution. In this
12 sense they are the propriatary work and the capital of each distro. So
13 I guess it will be difficult to convince them to store their patches
14 into a common QM repository. Forks of a distro would become much more
15 easy and like more successful.
16
17 However it's worth I try. OpenSource works and nobody would have
18 predicted that 40 years ago.
19
20 > You never really needed Java, but proper build systems. What we
21 > could gain here is saving a lot of distro-specific extra works if
22 > some distro like Gentoo directly works on different targets
23 > environments.
24
25 That's true as far as we speak of unixoid environments. To port
26 programs to other environments requires more efforts than just a
27 proper build system. The original idea of Java was, to bring a
28 standard layer into any environment, that would remove the need of
29 ports.
30
31 > The interesting point in Java is that it is an (well, was) an
32 > very cleanly defined virtual machine (even virtual processor)
33
34 One interesting point is, that it is was very successfull, but on
35 completly different fields than origninally targeted. Most Java
36 doesn't run platform independent programs, but runs servers, that
37 don't need to be platform independent at all.
38
39 > environment which can be emulated on virtually any known machine
40 > (assuming it has enough resources). That could also work with
41 > plain C, if the basic APIs are stricly and cleanly defined.
42 > (see Plan9 vs. plan9port).
43
44 Java was also designed to facilitate programming comparing C. Still
45 Java itself isn't the last clue. Take the horrible way to copy a
46 simple array. The fewer programming in C facilitates matters. It still
47 makes sense in the Unix environment, but rather for historical
48 dependencies and performance than for simplicity.
51 > Let me add a third candidate: Briegel. It's based on crosscompiling
52 > from ground up. It's not really a distro, but more a generic build
53 > system, as a basic building block for distro generation. But beware
54 > that it's based on very different concepts than traditional distro
55 > build systems.
56
57 That is very interesing. Briegel is indeed related to what I currently
58 do. I have a special usecase in mind. I only want to do the basics as
59 far as necessary, because a portable Posix environment is still
60 missing yet, then turn back to my original idea.
61
62 Briegel is strongly focused on the technolgical basics, without
63 talking of all possible usecases. At least mine was not addressed. :-)
64
65 Still Briegel looks like a one-man-show while there are already
66 communities behind the Cygwin and the Gentoo candidate.
67
68 What is your strategia to build up a community?
69
70 Al