From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 03:04:32
1 * Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I think there is a future for second level managers that can be
4 > installed into multiple OS and yet set up the very same POSIX
5 > invironement. Having that you can build complex software that is
6 > portable.
7
8 IMHO the most work intensive stuff (on per-package basis) is all
9 the QM. Parts of it can be done generically, assisted by automatic
10 massbuilds and various auto-test mathods (some of them already
11 built into portage), but still leaving much target or even install
12 specific stuff (eg. will some package foo work properly with
13 certain cflags and libc-version X ?).
14
15 > You don't depend on Java. You don't need to run a virtual server.
16
17 You never really needed Java, but proper build systems. What we
18 could gain here is saving a lot of distro-specific extra works if
19 some distro like Gentoo directly works on different targets
20 environments.
21
22 The interesting point in Java is that it is an (well, was) an
23 very cleanly defined virtual machine (even virtual processor)
24 environment which can be emulated on virtually any known machine
25 (assuming it has enough resources). That could also work with
26 plain C, if the basic APIs are stricly and cleanly defined.
27 (see Plan9 vs. plan9port).
28
29 > Currently there are two canditates. One candidate is Cygwin Ports, the
30 > other one is Gentoo Prefix. Cygwin Ports just added cross-compilation
31 > features into the latest edition. Still Cygwin is limited to Windows.
32
33 Let me add a third candidate: Briegel. It's based on crosscompiling
34 from ground up. It's not really a distro, but more a generic build
35 system, as a basic building block for distro generation. But beware
36 that it's based on very different concepts than traditional distro
37 build systems.
40 cu
41 --
43 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
44
45 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
46 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
48 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme