From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encripting /home
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:53:57
1 Pupeno schrieb:
2 > On Thursday 28 July 2005 02:54, Richard Fish wrote:
3 >> Pupeno wrote:
4 >> >>I use the dm-crypt from the kernel....
5 >> >
6 >> >I've read that it is unsecure and I also read that it is not yet vory well
7 >> >suported.
8 >>
9 >> Dm-crypt is fairly well supported, since it is in the kernel, but I find
10 >> it to be harder to setup and less 'flexible' than loop-AES (the changing
11 >> passphrase thing, for example).
12 >
13 > I know it is in the kernes, but I've read that there weren't good userland
14 > tool to work with dm-crypt.
15
16 Well, there's only cryptsetup. It does all that's needed, is easy
17 to use and flexible enough (for me).
18
19 What's bad about cryptsetup?
20
21 > Maybe that has changed and Gentoo's userland
22 > tools can work with dm-crypt, what's the status of that ?
23
24 ?
25
26 >> Well, technically, anything can be cracked given enough time and
27 >> computing power.
28 > Yes, ok. I should have added a 'practically' there somewhere.
29
30 Yep. And passphrases are *practically* just as unbreakable - if
31 they are long and difficult enough. Like:
32
33 b^m&oe-.bw28Ge^[3Ru:M&{0KR[es<~#$TY~VRe+jJ{t0Ko+VSUeuW$e?'@hj!=]I^fa.lJ;&lh4z}?-D5xBQ)"F!W7fZ%X;7j'x[-:&*_yZ6aGw`ZdIu-z|@,;3rP4'+np]pis47I;\9z|SqLHHhv
34
35 Alexander Skwar
36 --
37 A man is like a rusty wheel on a rusty cart,
38 He sings his song as he rattles along and then he falls apart.
39 -- Richard Thompson
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list