From: Pupeno <pupeno@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encripting /home
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:05:38
1 On Thursday 28 July 2005 02:54, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > Pupeno wrote:
3 > >>I use the dm-crypt from the kernel....
4 > >
5 > >I've read that it is unsecure and I also read that it is not yet vory well
6 > >suported.
7 >
8 > Dm-crypt is fairly well supported, since it is in the kernel, but I find
9 > it to be harder to setup and less 'flexible' than loop-AES (the changing
10 > passphrase thing, for example).
11
12 I know it is in the kernes, but I've read that there weren't good userland
13 tool to work with dm-crypt. Maybe that has changed and Gentoo's userland
14 tools can work with dm-crypt, what's the status of that ?
15 Regarding loop-AES I've read it needs some heavy patching here and there, I
16 don't want to do any patching myself because I am likely to loose track of
17 it.
18
19 > It provides rougly the equivalent security as loop-AES in "single-key"
20 > mode (where a single key is used to encrypt every block). loop-AES also
21 > supports multi-key mode, where 64 different keys are used to encrypt the
22 > blocks. Multi-key makes certain kinds of attacks (specifically,
23 > watermark) more difficult, but is slower.
24 >
25 > However, I seem to recall reading somewhere in the last couple of weeks
26 > that dm-crypt was also getting multi-key support...maybe in the
27 > mm-kernel, or for 2.6.13...
28 Single key is enough for me.
29
30 > >I know I don't need a key, but I do want a key (stored in a remobable
31 > > modia) encripted with a passphrase I will be able to change, or best, my
32 > > wife can have the key protected with a different passphrase than I do.
33 > >Beyond that, encripting with a key is much better than doing that with a
34 > >passphrase because the passphrase can be cracked (dictionary attack) while
35 > >the key-encripted that can't.
36 >
37 > Well, technically, anything can be cracked given enough time and
38 > computing power.
39 Yes, ok. I should have added a 'practically' there somewhere.
40
41 > For using different passwords, this is possible. You would need to
42 > encrypt the same key file with gpg to two different .gpg files....your
43 > wife can use one, and you can use the other. If the key files are
44 > stored on separate pieces of removable media, then you each have your
45 > own "keys" to the system.
46 That's the idea, that scheme plus the best superted method out fo the box (or
47 the net, hehehe). I believe it is cryptoloop, but I am not sure.
48
49 Thanks.
50 --
51 Pupeno <pupeno@××××××.com> (http://pupeno.com)