From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encripting /home
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:12:09
1 Pupeno wrote:
2
3 >On Thursday 28 July 2005 02:54, Richard Fish wrote:
6 >>Pupeno wrote:
9 >>>>I use the dm-crypt from the kernel....
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>I've read that it is unsecure and I also read that it is not yet vory well
13 >>>suported.
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>Dm-crypt is fairly well supported, since it is in the kernel, but I find
17 >>it to be harder to setup and less 'flexible' than loop-AES (the changing
18 >>passphrase thing, for example).
22 >I know it is in the kernes, but I've read that there weren't good userland
23 >tool to work with dm-crypt. Maybe that has changed and Gentoo's userland
24 >tools can work with dm-crypt, what's the status of that ?
28 Personally, I find cryptsetup/dm-crypt to be much more difficult to use
29 than losetup/mount. With loop-AES, I have my fstab setup to
30 automatically enable the encryption and prompt for the password when
31 certain filesystems are mounted (of course, that only works if running
32 'mount' from the command line, for now). I do not think this is
33 possible with dm-crypt yet.
34
35 >Regarding loop-AES I've read it needs some heavy patching here and there, I
36 >don't want to do any patching myself because I am likely to loose track of
37 >it.
41 Gentoo already includes the necessary patches if you have USE=crypt.
42
43 You just have to remember to do "emerge loop-aes" after each kernel
44 upgrade to rebuild the kernel module.
47 >That's the idea, that scheme plus the best superted method out fo the box (or
48 >the net, hehehe). I believe it is cryptoloop, but I am not sure.
52 No no no, cryptoloop is completely brain-damaged security, and AFAIK,
53 out of the kernel. Loop-AES would be the logical successor to
54 cryptoloop from a functional and setup standpoint.
55
56 -Richard
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list