From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encripting /home
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:58:27
1 Pupeno wrote:
2
3 >>I use the dm-crypt from the kernel....
6 >I've read that it is unsecure and I also read that it is not yet vory well
7 >suported.
11 Dm-crypt is fairly well supported, since it is in the kernel, but I find
12 it to be harder to setup and less 'flexible' than loop-AES (the changing
13 passphrase thing, for example).
14
15 It provides rougly the equivalent security as loop-AES in "single-key"
16 mode (where a single key is used to encrypt every block). loop-AES also
17 supports multi-key mode, where 64 different keys are used to encrypt the
18 blocks. Multi-key makes certain kinds of attacks (specifically,
19 watermark) more difficult, but is slower.
20
21 However, I seem to recall reading somewhere in the last couple of weeks
22 that dm-crypt was also getting multi-key support...maybe in the
23 mm-kernel, or for 2.6.13...
24
25 Now, I doubt that most people actually _need_ the extra security of
26 multi-key encryption. Personally I run loop-AES in single-key mode
27 because it is faster than multi-key. Plus someone willing to go through
28 the effort of cracking multi-key encryption would find it much easier to
29 simply make a credible physical threat, and I will happily give them my
30 password!! :-)
31
32 >I know I don't need a key, but I do want a key (stored in a remobable modia)
33 >encripted with a passphrase I will be able to change, or best, my wife can
34 >have the key protected with a different passphrase than I do.
35 >Beyond that, encripting with a key is much better than doing that with a
36 >passphrase because the passphrase can be cracked (dictionary attack) while
37 >the key-encripted that can't.
41 Well, technically, anything can be cracked given enough time and
42 computing power.
43
44 For using different passwords, this is possible. You would need to
45 encrypt the same key file with gpg to two different .gpg files....your
46 wife can use one, and you can use the other. If the key files are
47 stored on separate pieces of removable media, then you each have your
48 own "keys" to the system.
49
50 -Richard
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list