From: Pupeno <pupeno@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encripting /home
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:52:38
1 On Wednesday 27 July 2005 20:54, Luigi Pinna wrote:
2 > Alle 01:18, giovedì 28 luglio 2005, Pupeno ha scritto:
3 > > Hello,
4 > > I want to have the /home of my laptop encripted, with an external key
5 > > (in a CD or floppy, until I get an usb pain drive), specially to be
6 > > able to change the passphrase easily and have various medias with
7 > > different passphrases and the same key (so, my wife can uses her own
8 > > passphrase), is this possible ? it'll be the non written 13th item
9 > > here:
10 > > http://www.sdc.org/~leila/usb-dongle/readme.html, right ?
11 > > Any docs that explains how to achieve this (as close as possible to
12 > > Gentoo). Thanks.
13 >
14 > I have my home encrypt...
15 > But I cannot change the passphrase!
16 I don't want a fixed passphrase.
17
18 > I use the dm-crypt from the kernel....
19 I've read that it is unsecure and I also read that it is not yet vory well
20 suported.
21
22 > With these options, I can create a dynamic passphrase...
23 What is a dynamic passphrase ?
24
25 > You don't need a key (that someone can keep and force) but the key is
26 > created from the passphrase: that means that without that word works
27 > nothing,but you need a good password (and please, don't write it on the
28 > monitor ;-) ...)
29 I know I don't need a key, but I do want a key (stored in a remobable modia)
30 encripted with a passphrase I will be able to change, or best, my wife can
31 have the key protected with a different passphrase than I do.
32 Beyond that, encripting with a key is much better than doing that with a
33 passphrase because the passphrase can be cracked (dictionary attack) while
34 the key-encripted that can't.
35
36 Thanks.
37 --