From: Willie Matthews <matthews.willie80@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pvcreate on LUKS container -> 'Device not found'
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 22:03:46
1 On 03/08/2016 01:41 PM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Hi folks
3 >
4 > I’m trying to follow an article¹ on setting up a fully encrypted system for
5 > my soon-to-arrive laptop. It and others (e.g. ² in a very condensed form)
6 > simply luksFormat a block device, then luksOpen it and run pvcreate on that.
7 >
8 > I’ve never used LVM before, it’s only installed as a dependency for various
9 > FS tools. Hence, my LVM install is basically pure vanilla. But when I try to
10 > follow those articles, I get:
11 >
12 > kern $ cryptsetup status /dev/mapper/tp
13 > /dev/mapper/tp is active.
14 > [...]
15 >
16 > kern $ pvcreate /dev/mapper/tp
17 > /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
18 > WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to internal scanning.
19 > Device /dev/mapper/tp not found (or ignored by filtering).
20 >
21 > The filter rule in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf simply says the default:
22 > filter = [ "r|/dev/nbd.*|", "a/.*/" ]
23 > Meaning ‘include everything except /dev/nbd*’.
24 >
25 > Can you give me a hint what I might be missing? Perhaps I need to set some
26 > other of the many options in lvm.conf?
27 >
28 > Gratefully awaiting any helpful nudge.
31 > ¹ https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Preparing_the_LUKS-LVM_Filesystem_and_Boot_USB_Key
32 > ² http://www.pavelkogan.com/2014/05/23/luks-full-disk-encryption/
35 If I am not mistaken you have to create a partition on the drive before
36 you can use "pvcreate /dev/sda1".
37
38 If you would like to get rid of the /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket error just
39 start lvm with "service lvm start". I still get the error when starting
40 up but it still works.
41
42 I used your first link to do a full encrypted secure boot install of
43 Gentoo.
44 (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Preparing_the_LUKS-LVM_Filesystem_and_Boot_USB_Key).
45 It works like a charm.
46
47 If you don't want to use a USB key to boot every time make sure you make
48 a small partition on the drive to hold all the information for your
49 encryption and secure boot files. I made that mistake and it took a
50 while to fix.
51
52 Hope this helps you.
57 Willie Matthews