From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] apcupsd to recycle power
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 17:05:30
1 on 11/15/2014 06:47 PM Daniel Frey wrote the following:
2 > On 11/14/2014 10:53 AM, Thanasis wrote:
3 >> I have an APC SC620I, which in case of power failure, it successfully
4 >> initiates a shutdown to the connected (via SMART cable) PC, but if the
5 >> mains power returns, the UPS does not recycle the power to the PC, and
6 >> consequently the PC stays off.
7 >>
8 >> Regardless if the mains power returns soon after the UPS has initiated a
9 >> shutdown to the PC, shouldn't the UPS recycle the power anyway, so that
10 >> the PC comes back on as set in BIOS?
11 >
12 > I assume that your PC shuts off thus reducing the load - and, of course,
13 > this increases the runtime of the remaining battery so the UPS never
14 > actually shuts down?
15 >
16 > I don't think you can get apcupsd in any case to cycle the outlet
17 > groups, but you can try a couple things.
18 >
19 > First, is apcupsd even sending the signal to shutdown the UPS?
20 >
21 > /etc/init.d/apcupsd.powerfail needs to be added to the shutdown runlevel:
22 >
23 > `rc-update add apcupsd.powerfail shutdown`
24
25 I have even tried to run the command "/sbin/apcupsd --killpower" from a
26 root terminal (while in default runlevel, after manually creating the
27 file /etc/apcupsd/powerfail) and nothing happened.
30 > At the end of the shutdown this is run and it tells the UPS to power
31 > off. If you have multiple PCs this should be enabled on the slowest to
32 > shutdown to make sure it doesn't kill a machine still shutting down.
35 >> Am I missing something in the configuration or the daemons that should
36 >> be running?
37 >>
38 >> (Running sys-power/apcupsd-3.14.8-r2)
39 >>
40 >> /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf folows:
41 >> KILLDELAY 0
42 >
43 > If the above fails (if the above does indeed fail, some troubleshooting
44 > should happen to try to figure out why it doesn't work), KILLDELAY is
45 > the parameter you likely seek, but it is dangerous. If you set this it
46 > will wait x seconds after a shutdown was requested and forcibly shut
47 > down the UPS power.
48 >
49 > However, in the even that power is restored between the UPS kill and the
50 > time it actually turns off the mains will still not be cycled.
51
52 Why would this be so?
53
54 > But
55 > theoretically this window should be pretty small.
56 >
57 > Dan