From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ? -- discovery
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:24:19
1 On 7/12/10, covici@××××××××××.com <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Further ideas : I tried booting a Gentoo kernel with the Ubuntu /
6 >> & avoided the kernel panic, but ran into an Ubuntu init error,
7 >> so there's nothing inherently wrong with /dev/sda8 .
8 >>
9 >> Also, I checked the Ubuntu kernel config file, conveniently in /boot ,
10 >> which has ReiserFS configured as a module, whereas Ext2 & Ext3 are 'y'.
11 >> That suggests that it's running into a road-block:
12 >> it needs to use ReiserFS to start 'init',
13 >> but can't load modules till it has already started 'init'.
14 >>
15 >> In that case, I need to re-install Ubuntu using Ext2 or Ext3 .
16 >> In fact, it wb as a bug in Ubuntu's "advanced" install.
17 >>
18 >> Does that make sense to anyone else ?
19 >
20 > Or the module could be in the initrd -- should be. Also, be sure you
21 > have root= in your append line.
22
23 Yes, I'd be surprised if Ubuntu didn't have reiserfs easily available.
24
25 OP: see what man page of mount has to say about reiserfs,
26 --tail/--notail and LILO.
27
28 ext3 doesn't sound so bad any more after reading the man page section.
31 Arttu V. -- Running Gentoo is like running with scissors