From: Jan Seeger <jan.seeger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager for laptop
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 06:54:41
1 At Tue, 06 May 2008 13:48:46 +0800,
2 William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >
4 > On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 01:42 -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
5 > > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM, deface <deface@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
6 <snipped the frustration>
7 > been there, done that ... and gave up.
8 >
9 > Write your own scripts and shortcut the frustration.
10 >
11 > Keep a directory with a subdirectory for each site. Have all config
12 > files needed properly configured and stored there. Lastly, a simple
13 > script just copies in the required files over the top of the last lot
14 > and restarts the services. I have a desktop icon and a GUI (using
15 > gtkdialog) so I can easily select the correct site.
16 >
17 > Ive tried a few like network manager, and also tried to get gentoo's
18 > networking to do it semi-automaticly to help, but all I ended up with
19 > was a frustratingly fragile mess.
20
21 I have a laptop too, and I always found that the gentoo networking
22 scripts where fully sufficient for keeeping me on-line. Okay, the
23 wireless is a bit flaky, but only when connecting. Note: I do not use
24 network manager.
25
26 What exactly are your problems?
27