From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager for laptop
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 05:48:56
1 On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 01:42 -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM, deface <deface@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
7 > > > now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
8 > > > LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.
9 > > >
10
11 been there, done that ... and gave up.
12
13 Write your own scripts and shortcut the frustration.
14
15 Keep a directory with a subdirectory for each site. Have all config
16 files needed properly configured and stored there. Lastly, a simple
17 script just copies in the required files over the top of the last lot
18 and restarts the services. I have a desktop icon and a GUI (using
19 gtkdialog) so I can easily select the correct site.
20
21 Ive tried a few like network manager, and also tried to get gentoo's
22 networking to do it semi-automaticly to help, but all I ended up with
23 was a frustratingly fragile mess.
24
25 At least now it works reliably, and saves me lots of time as well.
26
27 BillK
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list