From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager for laptop
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 04:42:10
1 On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM, deface <deface@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
4 >
5 > > I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
6 > > now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
7 > > LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.
8 > >
9 > > I'm using Gnome, but I have all KDE libraries as dependencies for some
10 > > stuff. The machine is an Asus EEE 701 with an Atheros card. I'm using
11 > > ndiswrapper trying to avoid patching the madwifi drivers, waiting for
12 > > the official commit. My first try was NetworkManager, beautiful tool,
13 > > allowed me to manage my wired and open wireless connections fine, but
14 > > once I need WPA for wireless at the University, it failed on me. It
15 > > seems it can't talk to wpa_supplicant the right way. One possible fix
16 > > would be downgrade to version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant, but its not in
17 > > portage anymore, so I quit.
18 > >
19 > > Next I tried some gtk stuff, scripting stuff, gosh, so many.
20 > >
21 > > End up with WICD, wich for the most part works fine. I didn't have the
22 > > time to check why the heck it tries to connect to "None" more often
23 > > then it tries with the SSID I"m telling it to (maybe some
24 > > configuration file lost in the way), but anyway, change driver from
25 > > "ndiswrapper" or "wext" and it eventually works.
26 > >
27 > > What are you guys using? I"m accepting suggestions!
31 > I haven't read the rest of the replies, but have you tried going UP, and
32 > not DOWN? meaning a CVS version of NM? This is a beautiful application,
33 > which has filled many much needed holes in the world of linux and wireless.
34 > NM is under rapid development and many changes are commited. (if you've gone
35 > up, sorry .. like i said; haven't read the rest of the replies on this one.)
39 I have run both stable and testing versions on portage. I even tried
40 compiling from source, and that failed, can't recall the reason.
41
42 I'm still looking for a stable network manager app. I'm currently
43 switching from Gnome to XFCE, so I'm gonna try some other apps, like
44 pynetworkmanager...
47 Daniel da Veiga
48 --
49 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list