From: deface <deface@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager for laptop
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 22:12:29
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
3 > now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
4 > LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.
5 >
6 > I'm using Gnome, but I have all KDE libraries as dependencies for some
7 > stuff. The machine is an Asus EEE 701 with an Atheros card. I'm using
8 > ndiswrapper trying to avoid patching the madwifi drivers, waiting for
9 > the official commit. My first try was NetworkManager, beautiful tool,
10 > allowed me to manage my wired and open wireless connections fine, but
11 > once I need WPA for wireless at the University, it failed on me. It
12 > seems it can't talk to wpa_supplicant the right way. One possible fix
13 > would be downgrade to version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant, but its not in
14 > portage anymore, so I quit.
15 >
16 > Next I tried some gtk stuff, scripting stuff, gosh, so many.
17 >
18 > End up with WICD, wich for the most part works fine. I didn't have the
19 > time to check why the heck it tries to connect to "None" more often
20 > then it tries with the SSID I"m telling it to (maybe some
21 > configuration file lost in the way), but anyway, change driver from
22 > "ndiswrapper" or "wext" and it eventually works.
23 >
24 > What are you guys using? I"m accepting suggestions!
27 I haven't read the rest of the replies, but have you tried going UP, and
28 not DOWN? meaning a CVS version of NM? This is a beautiful application,
29 which has filled many much needed holes in the world of linux and
30 wireless. NM is under rapid development and many changes are commited.
31 (if you've gone up, sorry .. like i said; haven't read the rest of the
32 replies on this one.)
35 deface
36 --
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list