From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT encfs] When encfs gets hungup
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 05:30:01
1 On Friday, July 8 at 22:50 (+0100), Neil Bothwick said:
2
3 > Apart from the need to access legacy data, which Harry has resolved by
4 > reformatting, is there any benefit in using encfs rather than the
5 > in-kernel ecryptfs these days?
6
7 Admittedly there isn't much difference, so if what you are using works
8 for you why not stick with it. I still prefer encfs, although I have
9 admittedly never tried ecryptfs, for the following reasons:
10
11 * It's FUSE, completely userspace and requires no kernel support
12 (other than FUSE) and no special privileges to mount (other than
13 fusermount).
14 * You can have multiple layers of encryption on on source
15 directory. E.g. two different passwords can give you two
16 different views of the filesystem.
17 * In the documentation at least, it says when you upgrade ecryptfs
18 you should first copy the files from the old ecryptfs to an
19 unencrypted filesystem, and then copy it to the new ecryptfs.
20 That seems like something some people won't want to do.