From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT encfs] When encfs gets hungup
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 08:22:12
1 On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 19:40:58 -0400, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2
3 > > Apart from the need to access legacy data, which Harry has resolved by
4 > > reformatting, is there any benefit in using encfs rather than the
5 > > in-kernel ecryptfs these days?
6 >
7 > Admittedly there isn't much difference, so if what you are using works
8 > for you why not stick with it.
9
10 Fair enough, except this thread is about encfs not working :(
11
12 > I still prefer encfs, although I have
13 > admittedly never tried ecryptfs, for the following reasons:
14 >
15 > * It's FUSE, completely userspace and requires no kernel support
16 > (other than FUSE) and no special privileges to mount (other than
17 > fusermount).
18
19 On the other hand, it does seem quite a bit slower. Also, it means that
20 your encrypted files much be user readable (IIRC) so someone could copy
21 them for a more leisurely attempt at reading them.
22
23 > * You can have multiple layers of encryption on on source
24 > directory. E.g. two different passwords can give you two
25 > different views of the filesystem.
26
27 That's interesting, a bit of an edge case but interesting nonetheless.
28
29 > * In the documentation at least, it says when you upgrade ecryptfs
30 > you should first copy the files from the old ecryptfs to an
31 > unencrypted filesystem, and then copy it to the new ecryptfs.
32 > That seems like something some people won't want to do.
33
34 That does seem a major drawback. I've not used ecryptfs that much,
35 although I use to use encfs. I did try using it on a remote box on top of
36 sshfs and the performance was appalling.
40 Neil Bothwick
41
42 "We are Microsoft of Borg. Prepare to...."
43 The application "assimilation" has caused a General Protection Fault
44 and must exit immediately.