From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jitsi or Other Skype Alternative
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 20:24:51
1 On 08/23/2013 08:09 PM, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
2 > On 23.08.2013 19:58, hasufell wrote:
3 >> On 08/23/2013 05:48 PM, Marc Stürmer wrote:
4 >>> Am 23.08.2013 12:50, schrieb the:
5 >>> [ ... ]
6 >>> The point for Skype, last time I am going to repeat that, is that it
7 >>> works out of the box for the normal user and the large user base.
8 >>
9 >> And that is still wrong. If it works for you, fine. There are enough
10 >> users who have a LOT of trouble with it. Again: read the bugtrackers,
11 >> I do.
12 >
13 > (Again, I'm not a skypodefender in any way)
14 > Please recommend us a bugtracker for an actively developing software
15 > which has, well, considerably fewer bugs. (Add to this: multiplatform,
16 > multiuser, network-based etc)
19 I was talking about crash and segfault bugs in specific.
20 Check the xfce bug tracker if you need an example for a rather well
21 maintained piece of software compared to skype.
22
23 >> And even better: you cannot file bug reports properly (at least from
24 >> what I see the skype jira is gone) and cannot read/fix code.
25 >>
26 >> You are lured into believing it's a good piece of software that works
27 >> out of the box, because all they do is good advertisement and increasing
28 >> their userbase with some shiny features. Even worse: distro maintainers
29 >> have trouble with it, need to apply hacks or don't even include it at
30 >> all because of the nasty license. How does that improve "out-of-the-box"
31 >> experience?
32 >
33 > Your view is simply different from the view of most software users. A
34 > "good piece of software" for them is not what is well-coded or
35 > well-maintained or well-licensed or well-whatever. All they need is
36 > matching their expectations. You may be 146% correct about troubles and
37 > hacks but this doesn't change the average joe's expectations. And yes,
38 > in most situations skype does work out-of-the-box. Sad, but true.
41 Repeating it and ignoring the troubles people have throughout distro
42 forums and bug trackers will not help you prove your point.
43
44 >> Next you will tell us windows works out of the box.
45 >
46 > It does, in most situations. Sad, but true.
47
48 That is simply not true. It doesn't even come with most of the needed
49 hardware drivers. There is almost nothing pre-installed. Getting
50 programs is complicated.
51
52 It seems to me you don't really understand what "out of the box" means.
55 >> I mean, wtf are you talking about? It doesn't make any sense. And
56 >> doesn't even add anything to this topic.
57 >
58 > That's all about off-topic.
59 > But not acknowledging the truth doesn't add anything either.
60 > Do people hate Windows or other proprietary stuff because of its bugs?
61 > Or because of its not working OOTB? In my experience, I'd probably
62 > number a thousand more times of open-source software not working OOTB
63 > and being buggy than Windows/etc. But I still adhere to OSS.
64 > I don't think that having an 'ideal' piece of proprietary software would
65 > change an open-source adept's mind towards PS. But neither I think that
66 > emphasizing PS' problems which are common to all software will help
67 > people turn to the open-source side.
70 opensource often sucks if there is no one professionally working on it,
71 as in: get's money