From: Javier Ubillos <nobobo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] booting with an lvm2 root. How do I make a working initrd?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:14:55
1 Hi.
2
3 I'm trying to get my gentoo isntallation to work, but I'm just ending up
4 pulling my hair out.
5
6 The setup I'm going for is a single disk, with two partitions
7
8 One 100MB partition for /boot
9 and the rest of the disk (~120GB) for LVM
10
11 I've used the standard gentoo installation handbook + "Gentoo LVM2
12 installation" <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm2.xml> + gentoo wiki
13 "HOWTO Install Gentoo on an LVM2 root partition"
14 <http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_an_LVM2_root_partition#Make_your_initrd>
15 and some random googeling
16
17 From what I gather, I need an initrd image to boot with, so that it can
18 load neccecary modules to be able to read the logical volumes.
19 I don't want to use genkernel, but I still want it to work.
20 The entry in the gentoo wiki is inkomplete (the links to the precompiled
21 binaries are broken)
22
23 when I try to run
24 mkinitrd --preload md_mod --with=md_mod initrd-2.6.16-gentoo-r9
25 2.6.16-gentoo-r9
26 I allways get
27 no temporary directory could be found
28 (I'm runniing this from the live cd)
29
30 In conclusion:
31 how do I get/make a working initrd so I can boot with my lvm2 root?
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list