From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Which package contains kdeinit4? Was: Purged gnome, lost X. :-(
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 22:38:49
1 Hi, Alan.
2
3 On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 01:29:09PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > On 12/01/2014 12:11, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > >> That should get you a consistent system. Now run xfce.
6 > >> > With luck, it will work as it should.
7 > >> > If not, we can then start the real debugging
8 > > No such luck, as yet. I still get these messages when trying to startx:
9
10 > > xfce4-session: GNOME compatibility is enabled and gnome-keyring-daemon is found on the system. Skipping gpg/ssh-agent startup.
11 > > env: kdeinit4: No such file or directory
12 > > env: qdbus: No such file or directory
13
14 > > . Somehow, the remnants of a KDE program are hanging around somewhere.
15 > > I've no idea what qdbus is, or where I've got it configured.
18 I'm getting a bit weary with this issue. Thanks for the help, so far. I
19 spent a lot of Sunday evening trying to locate executables/libraries
20 which still invoke kdeinit4 and qdbus. To no avail.
21
22 Next bright idea: why don't I emerge these two binaries again? This will
23 surely help me locate the offending binaries, and even if it doesn't,
24 might get my X working again as a workaround.
25
26 > qdbus comes from qtdbus, it was pulled in by KDE way back when.
27
28 I've emerged qtdbus, and the "qdbus" error message has gone. But I can't
29 for the life of me locate the package containing kdeinit4. I've looked
30 through /usr/portage/kde-base/, but can't identify the KDE base package I
31 need. equery only works on already emerged packages.
32
33 Which package contains kdeinit4?
34
35 > $ equery belongs /usr/bin/qdbus
36 > * Searching for /usr/bin/qdbus ...
37 > dev-qt/qtdbus-4.8.5 (/usr/bin/qdbus)
38
39 > It's being launched because you have a KDE app somewhere in your startup
40 > scripts (or possibly kdeinit4 itself)
41
42 > How do you start X? A display manager or using startx?
43 > What are the contents of the relevant files?
44
45 startx. My .xinitrc contains solely "exec startxfce4".
46
47 > --
48 > Alan McKinnon
49 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com