From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install, I still can't send email. Same error too.
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 05:16:44
1 On Tuesday 17 January 2006 22:48, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 < snip >
4 >
5 > What you can try is:
6 > 1. Make sure you're actually on your isp.com network - get the ip
7 > address of their mail server, and get your ip address and see.
8 > 2. Enable passwords with your mail client - not just to check mail, but
9 > to send mail as well. (With evolution its in Edit > Prefs > Mail
10 > Accounts > (select account) > edit > Sending Mail > Authentication. It
11 > looks like you're using mozilla though...)
12 >
13 > HTH, and as I said, I hope this wasn't already mentioned in the original
14 > thread...
15 > --
16 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
17 >
18 > Do not count your chickens before they are hatched.
19 > -- Aesop
22 I do connect directly to my ISP. I have even tried different numbers to dial
23 into and get the same error. How would I get the IP address of the mail
24 server though? I know how to get mine. I assume ifconfig would tell me.
25
26 Also, keep in mind that Kmail works at least at the moment anyway.
27
28 It does come up and ask for a password when I connect the first time. I tell
29 it to store the password so I don't have to type it in each time.
30
31 Those would be a good start though. This is getting weird.
32
33 Thanks and let me know on the IP address.
34
35 Dale
36 :-)
37 --