From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install, I still can't send email. Same error too.
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 05:52:42
1 On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 23:12 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 17 January 2006 22:48, Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 > >
4 > > What you can try is:
5 > > 1. Make sure you're actually on your isp.com network - get the ip
6 > > address of their mail server, and get your ip address and see.
7 >
8 > I do connect directly to my ISP. I have even tried different numbers to dial
9 > into and get the same error. How would I get the IP address of the mail
10 > server though? I know how to get mine. I assume ifconfig would tell me.
11
12 Get the mail server (that you entered in you mail preferences), eg
13 mail.isp.com and type `dig mail.isp.com`. (dig is part of For your ip
14 address, I'm interested in your "real" world ip, but don't post it
15 here!! ifconfig will get it IFF your using a modem, or pci-adsl, but if
16 you have a networked modem/router, you'll need to connect to its status
17 page to see what ip address you have.
18
19 They should be similar, however many isps have a few ip addresses that
20 may not be ranged together.
21
22 Looking at your other posts though, I don't know that this will help...
23
24 > > 2. Enable passwords with your mail client - not just to check mail, but
25 > > to send mail as well. (With evolution its in Edit > Prefs > Mail
26 > > Accounts > (select account) > edit > Sending Mail > Authentication. It
27 > > looks like you're using mozilla though...)
28 >
29 > Also, keep in mind that Kmail works at least at the moment anyway.
30
31 really? hmmm...
32
33 I don't have kmail installed so I don't know how it works. Can you look
34 through the configuration to see if you can turn authentication on for
35 sending mail?
36
37 Finally, you could do some sniffing with ethereal. Make a capture
38 filter so you don't get other junk, eg "host mail.exceedtech.net" and
39 then post the text-capture here. Your isp may be giving out a different
40 error which kmail is "translating" for you...
41
42 post back if you need more help with ethereal.
46 Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on.
47 -- Kirk, "A Taste of Armageddon", stardate 3193.9
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list