From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] re: which NTPd package to use?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 21:20:20
1 Am 28.07.2014 18:47, schrieb Rich Freeman:
2
3 > Anybody have a decent comparison of timedated vs ntpd or anything else
4 > for that matter?
5 >
6 > Running ntpd isn't hard at all, so I'm not really sure why I'd want to
7 > switch. At the very least I'd want to ensure that the replacement
8 > covers the basics.
9 >
10 > I am running networkd and I'm very happy with it. Setting it up for
11 > dhcp-only is brain-dead simple, and I have it serving up a bridge for
12 > containers/kvm with fairly little trouble as well.
15 AFAI understand it the systemd-timedated.service helps setting clock and
16 time-related settings ... and if you use it to enable NTP syncing,
17 systemd-timesyncd.service will actually take over the part of syncing
18 with ntp servers.
19
20 I also preferred chrony over ntp for the last year or so. Better with
21 laptops etc. and quicker to correct time when there is large offset.
22
23 What I haven't yet fully understood:
24
25 daemons like chrony bring a specific settings file for
26 systemd-environments, in this case:
27
28 /usr/lib/systemd/ntp-units.d/50-chrony.list (saying "chronyd.service")
29
30 In the same directory I see 90-systemd.list (saying
31 "systemd-timesyncd.service").
32
33 As far as I understand this:
34
35 if other ntp-software is installed, systemd-timedated.service uses the
36 ntp-unit with higher priority (in my current case chronyd.service) for
37 ntp-syncing.
38
39 So you may use the systemd-timedated.service to do your settings and in
40 the same setup let it use another ntp-daemon to actually do the syncing
41 behind the curtains.
42
43 Generalized interface with choice --- nice, isn't it?
44
45 ;-)
46
47 but maybe I misunderstand.