From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] re: which NTPd package to use?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:21:11
1 Am 28.07.2014 23:20, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
2
3 > As far as I understand this:
4 >
5 > if other ntp-software is installed, systemd-timedated.service uses the
6 > ntp-unit with higher priority (in my current case chronyd.service) for
7 > ntp-syncing.
8 >
9 > So you may use the systemd-timedated.service to do your settings and in
10 > the same setup let it use another ntp-daemon to actually do the syncing
11 > behind the curtains.
12
13 My tests show:
14
15 If I manually disable chronyd.service and then do "timedatectl set-ntp
16 yes" this enables and starts chronyd.service (in my case the higher
17 priority ntp.unit as mentioned before).
18
19 I might additionally emerge net-misc/ntp and see what happens ->
20
21 this adds
22
23 /usr/lib/systemd/ntp-units.d/60-ntpd.list
24
25 with "ntpd.service" inside ... so this would trigger ntpd.service if
26 chrony would not be installed?
27
28 And there is still /etc/systemd/ntp-units.d/ where you can override the
29 given priorities (if more than one ntp-capable package is installed).
30
31 -
32
33 I am quite happy with systemd controlling and using chrony here ... just
34 interesting how things are implemented here.
35
36 enough for today: 0:20am here, ntp-synced.
37
38 Stefan