From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best File System For Linux
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 10:52:13
1 Farhan Ahmed wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 > I want to know which is the best file system for a high
5 >performance Linux? I'm presently a encrypted ext3 file system for my
6 >Gentoo Desktop machine.. I've heard that ReiserFS provides the best
7 >performance.. Is it true? What about XFS? My file system is created
8 >using the following command :
9 >
10 > sbin/mkfs.ext3 -j -m 1 -O dir_index,filetype,sparse_super /dev/***
11 >
12 >I want to know what all options I can use for ReiserFS, ext3 and XFS to
13 >get the maximum performance.. Also I have this in my '/etc/fstab':
14 >
15 > /dev/ROOT / ext3 noatime,data=journal
16 > /dev/SWAP none swap sw
17 > /dev/XXX /doc ext3 noatime,nodev,nosuid,noexec,data=journal
18 > /dev/USR /usr ext3 noatime,nodev,data=journal
19 >
20 >What should I modify top get the best performance in all (ReiserFS, ext3
21 >and XFS) file systems?
22 >
23 >Thanks In Advance,
24 >Farhan Ahmed
30 Well, it depends on a lot of things. From what I have read, one of the
31 biggest things it depends on is the size and number of files you have.
32 The speed of your CPU will affect this too because journaling has some
33 overhead. I use reiserfs and have had no problems with it but depending
34 on what you are doing you may need something else. Here are some links
35 for you to read. This may help.
36
37 http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html
38