From: Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best File System For Linux
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 11:30:44
1 New for 2006!
2
3 http://linuxgazette.net/122/TWDT.html#piszcz
4
5 :-)
6
7 Teresa and Dale wrote:
8 > Farhan Ahmed wrote:
11 >>Hi,
12 >> I want to know which is the best file system for a high
13 >>performance Linux? I'm presently a encrypted ext3 file system for my
14 >>Gentoo Desktop machine.. I've heard that ReiserFS provides the best
15 >>performance.. Is it true? What about XFS? My file system is created
16 >>using the following command :
17 >>
18 >> sbin/mkfs.ext3 -j -m 1 -O dir_index,filetype,sparse_super /dev/***
19 >>
20 >>I want to know what all options I can use for ReiserFS, ext3 and XFS to
21 >>get the maximum performance.. Also I have this in my '/etc/fstab':
22 >>
23 >> /dev/ROOT / ext3 noatime,data=journal
24 >> /dev/SWAP none swap sw
25 >> /dev/XXX /doc ext3 noatime,nodev,nosuid,noexec,data=journal
26 >> /dev/USR /usr ext3 noatime,nodev,data=journal
27 >>
28 >>What should I modify top get the best performance in all (ReiserFS, ext3
29 >>and XFS) file systems?
30 >>
31 >>Thanks In Advance,
32 >>Farhan Ahmed
39 > Well, it depends on a lot of things. From what I have read, one of the
40 > biggest things it depends on is the size and number of files you have.
41 > The speed of your CPU will affect this too because journaling has some
42 > overhead. I use reiserfs and have had no problems with it but depending
43 > on what you are doing you may need something else. Here are some links
44 > for you to read. This may help.
45 >
46 > http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html
47 >
48 > http://linuxreviews.org/sysadmin/filesystems/
49 >
50 > Happy reading.
51 >
52 > Dale
53 > :-)
56 Darth Vader:
57 Luke, help me take this mask off.
58 Luke Skywalker:
59 But you'll die.
60 Darth Vader:
61 Nothing can stop that now. Just for once, let me
62 look upon you with my own eyes.
63 --
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list