From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Maybe OT]: Instability of system
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 12:22:31
1 On 05/20/2018 03:54 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > I'm having problems with my machine hanging or rebooting spontaneously.
5 > It's doing this, perhaps, every three or four weeks. I think that when
6 > I'm in X, the system usually reboots, when I'm on a tty, it hangs.
7 ---
8 > Other than that, suggestions as to what to do would be welcome.
9 >
10 > Thanks!
11 >
12 ---
13 Lots of good suggestions already ... might want to check this as well :
14 .
15 The UEFI Memory Map
16 .
17 The Asrock mobo I have original came out certified for Win 8.1
18 Win 10 has a different UEFI memory map.
19 OpenRC re-triggers the "init" binary every 4 or 5 minutes, unless I put
20 "efi=old_map" in the kernel boot param.
21 .
22 ( Linux/Gentoo, Kernel 4.9.x is looking for  Win 10 UEFI memory map. )
23 .
24 Compiling is a PITA with constant re-inits.
25 .
26 Corbin