From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [Maybe OT]: Instability of system
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 21:03:52
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 I'm having problems with my machine hanging or rebooting spontaneously.
4 It's doing this, perhaps, every three or four weeks. I think that when
5 I'm in X, the system usually reboots, when I'm on a tty, it hangs.
6
7 This phenomenon has, up till now, been just below the level at which
8 it's annoying enough to do something about. But my machine just hung on
9 me a few minutes ago, and now it's definitely reached tha threshold
10 where spending effort fixing it seems justified.
11
12 My actual Gentoo installation is fine, in fact, so good that I've not
13 needed to post to the list for a long time. :-)
14
15 My system is an AMD Ryzen processor on an Asus Prime X370-Pro mainboard,
16 and is just over a year old. I don't think my RAM is unstable (though
17 it's been a long time since I've run that RAM checking program).
18
19 I honestly suspect the firmware on the mainboard. When it was new, the
20 board was practically unusable - with two sticks of RAM installed, it
21 would crash after about 1 - 3 minutes. With just one stick of RAM, it
22 stayed up long enough to install new firmware (version 0604), which
23 appeared to be stable.
24
25 Going back to Asus's firmware page, there appear to have been many
26 subsequent versions of the firmware released during the last year.
27 Would it be a good idea for me to download and attempt to install the
28 latest version? Is this in any way risky? (My mains supply is
29 reliable.)
30
31 Other than that, suggestions as to what to do would be welcome.
32
33 Thanks!
36 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).