From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Maybe OT]: Instability of system
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 21:23:56
1 First suspect the power line, brief surges/sags can do that( do you have access to a ups?).
2
3 Is your' power supply near it's limits?  That can make power supplies rather sensitive.
4
5 Could it be static electricity?  You can actually make a really good antistatic spray cheaply for any carpet etc.  Just get an empty spray  bottle, fill with water and add 1-2 drops of dish soap, this works really well though like any sprayed on antistat  you have to repeat occsionally (depends on traffic and carpet age, old carpet usually has enough ground in dirt to keep the static down).
6
7 Don't wear synthetics around computers (it's really dry here in colorado, even in summer often).
8
9 Could the processor heatsink etc. be dirty?(worth monitoring the temp).  i.e. the fan in the power supply.  also make sure all the fans are still spinning nicely.  power supplies sort of work for awhile without proper cooling, but they'll tend to overheat and shut down, assuming you have a good power supply.  If you have one with "no agency approvals" then that's likely you're problem.  Such supplies have no safety devices, no surge arrestors, no linefilerterin, no temp/power/short protection.  They radiate interference and have dirty, dirty outputs.  In any case you might try another power supply, they often get flakey with age and there are always some weak units in a production run.  You are using a grounded surge arrested power source?  Do you have a lot of lightning in your' neighborhood, it's that time of year.
10
11 Definately check all the power cables are in right as well as the graphics card and ram etc.  It's also worth checking the fan cables.  If the bios supports it see what the temp is and the fan speed, some bioses can provide some troubleshooting help.
12
13 It could be in response to something else in the house creating a surge or sag, to the extent possible it's worth thinking about what else is happening.  An airconditioner can cause all kinds of problems (they should always be on their own circuit).  Of course if you don't have air conditioning I'd suspect a heat issue strongly.
14
15 Also worth putting the parts of the system under high load with testing utilities to see if you can make it happen more often.
16
17  A firmware issue would likely happen more often and consistantly.  Also, dred, run a smart tool on the hard drive though they usually don't cause reboot, just long hangs.
18
19 mad.scientist.at.large (a good madscientist)
20 --
21 <https://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters <https://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters>>