From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it safe to get rid of python 2.x?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:00:22
1 On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:04:05 +0100
2 Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > after upgrading glib today I noticed new message from
6 > revdep-rebuild:
7 > -----
8 > Not unmerging package dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3 since there is no valid
9 > reason for Portage to unmerge currently used Python interpreter.
10 > -----
11 >
12 > And it removed nothing, despite of "Number removed:1" message.
13 > This is definitely something new, as I quickly compared it
14 > with another box where no such a message was printed.
15 >
16 > So my question is: can we finally switch to python3.1 and
17 > uninstall python2.7?
18
19 No.
20
21 When it is *safe* to do so there will be all manner of news, blog and
22 list posts from the devs announcing that the time has come. This hasn't
23 happened.
24
25 I don't follow why you asked the question given the data to hand though.
26 Portage told you that revdep-rebuild listed python-2.7 as a candidate
27 for deletion, and portage refused to do it, quite correctly.
32 Alan McKinnnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com