From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:24:38
1 On Friday 08 April 2011 08:40:18 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 05:42:59 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Little light bulb here. physical volume is the same as a physical
5 > >> drive? If I understand it correctly, it is the whole thing
6 > >> unpartitioned.
7 > >
8 > > No. A physical volume is an area of disk. It can be the whole disk but
9 > > it
10 > > more usually a partition.
11 >
12 > Ooooh. Still some progress tho. lol So, if I was going to use LVM, I
13 > create a partition first, either whole drive or part of it then use LVM
14 > on that?
15
16 Yes. correct. Don't forget to set the partition type to "Linux LVM" (8e).
17
18 > Then comes in the rest of the stuff that I am still trying to
19 > get a grip on.
20
21 I'm confident you'll get there.
22
23 > This reminds me of catching a catfish. It's slimy and hard to get a
24 > grip on. lol
25
26 So are most fish, I believe...
27 Do you fish with your bare hands?