From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recent changes to install procedure
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 06:56:26
1 On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 00:24:51 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > # NOTE: This stage was built with the bindist Use flag enabled
4 > PORTDIR="/var/db/repos/gentoo"
5 > DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
6 > PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"
7
8 Hooray! They've changed the default locations to something more sensible.
9 Keeping data in /usr never made sense, I switched PORTDIR to /var/portage
10 years ago. Keeping tarballs inside the portage tree made even less sense.
11
12 I suspect agreement that change was needed was fairly quick, followed by
13 years of bikeshedding about where to move them ;-)
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Ask a silly person, get a silly answer