From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How do kernel modules load automatically during boot?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 22:44:22
1 On 04/22/2015 12:45 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> What mystifies me is how those three kernel modules managed to get
5 >> loaded while all the others didn't. (It's the same three modules every
6 >> time, BTW.)
7 >>
8 >> I grepped through /etc for the names of those modules, thinking maybe
9 >> I listed them in modprobe.conf.d sometime in the past, but no, those
10 >> modules are not listed anywhere in /etc, nor are any of the others
11 >> listed either.
12 >
13 > Try grepping /lib/udev for the names of those modules.
14
15 Thanks Rich and Canek (and a big kiss to Volker, too) for your replies.
16
17 I just spotted this question about a warning that I'm now seeing from
18 my "bad" machine, but sadly there are no replies:
19
20 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-996544-start-0.html
21
22 The lesson seems to be that "big" updates are risky, and I should stop
23 wasting my time on this particular big update and start from a newer
24 version of amd64.
25
26 I was startled just now by a comment my from my wife: "I can't believe
27 how much time you've wasted on your silly linux. That computer is too
28 old to run linux -- you should just throw it out and buy a new one."
29
30 Guys, listen up: when your wife suddenly advises you to treat yourself
31 to a new toy -- be afraid -- be very afraid. I'm afraid she's about to
32 say something else that will postpone my upcoming retirement for a long
33 time :(