From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How do kernel modules load automatically during boot?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 03:27:06
1 On 23 April 2015 00:43:53 CEST, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 04/22/2015 12:45 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> What mystifies me is how those three kernel modules managed to get
6 >>> loaded while all the others didn't. (It's the same three modules
7 >every
8 >>> time, BTW.)
9 >>>
10 >>> I grepped through /etc for the names of those modules, thinking
11 >maybe
12 >>> I listed them in modprobe.conf.d sometime in the past, but no, those
13 >>> modules are not listed anywhere in /etc, nor are any of the others
14 >>> listed either.
15 >>
16 >> Try grepping /lib/udev for the names of those modules.
17 >
18 >Thanks Rich and Canek (and a big kiss to Volker, too) for your replies.
19 >
20 >I just spotted this question about a warning that I'm now seeing from
21 >my "bad" machine, but sadly there are no replies:
22 >
23 >https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-996544-start-0.html
24 >
25 >The lesson seems to be that "big" updates are risky, and I should stop
26 >wasting my time on this particular big update and start from a newer
27 >version of amd64.
28
29 Maybe. There are people on this list who succesfully update servers every few years...
30 Do you get that error also after loading all the modules by hand?
31
32 >I was startled just now by a comment my from my wife: "I can't believe
33 >how much time you've wasted on your silly linux. That computer is too
34 >old to run linux -- you should just throw it out and buy a new one."
35
36 Makes me wonder about 2 things:
37 1) How old is that machine?
38 2) What does your wife do for a living?
39
40 >Guys, listen up: when your wife suddenly advises you to treat yourself
41 >to a new toy -- be afraid -- be very afraid. I'm afraid she's about to
42 >say something else that will postpone my upcoming retirement for a long
43 >time :(
44
45 What would she say that would postpone your retirement?
46
47 If my wife tells me to buy a new toy, I would go out and get one. She can't really complain if I do what she tells me.... :)
50 Joost
54 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.