From: Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nice level for X11
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 13:01:46
1 Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
2 > Well I did a little Google'ing, and i found a blog. There the author
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 > lapitopi gyuszk # snice -15 X
6
7 As already pointed out, running process with a nice value less than 0
8 can only be done by root, and it's usually a really bad idea to run your
9 entire X session as root. X (and applications running under X) involve a
10 lot of code, and vulnerabilities can exist in this code. You don't want
11 any vulnerabilities to be potentially exploited as the root user. Take
12 the multiple X-terminal vulnerabilities reported last week by the Gentoo
13 security team that could allow local attackers to hijack X11 terminals
14 of other users. The moral is don't run as root unless you actually need
15 to (and I'd argue that you should never need to run X sessions as root.)
16
17 > After doing this, I ran htop and it told me that my X11 was running
18 > with -15 niceness. I experience better "responsiblity" under all of
19 > X11 (kde, firefox, konsole, anything). For example switching from an
20 > existing Firefox window to (for ex.) Konsole or Xchat is much faster.
21 > I have to add, I own a very slow computer, so I have to do everything
22 > to speed up my system. It is very slow even with WinXP+official drivers.
23
24 If the goal is to lower the priority of other tasks the computer may be
25 doing at the same time, perhaps setting a higher nice value for them
26 would offer similar results. In the case of compiling, portage provides
27 an easy way to lower the priority with the PORTAGE_NICENESS value.
28