From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] scp login but confine the user to his home directory?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 19:22:45
1 On 2/2/07, Greg Bur <greg.bur@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2/2/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > I'm wondering if it is possible and/or advisable to set up an
5 > > account where a user can scp files in and out of his home directory
6 > > using scp but if he logs into the machine using ssh he cannot go
7 > > anywhere outside of his home directory?
8 > >
9 > > How would I set something like this up?
10 >
11 > Mark,
12 >
13 > Rebuild openssh with the chroot USE flag enabled and then have a look
14 > at the following HOWTO:
15 >
16 > http://www.howtoforge.com/chrooted_ssh_howto_debian
17 >
18 > It's a bit of work to set up but it works well. We have a similar
19 > setup at work for our shared hosting customers.
20 >
21 > Regards,
22 >
23 > Greg
24
25 Thanks Greg. That looks pretty manageable and easier than some of the
26 full blown chroots I've built before under Gentoo. Certainly good
27 enough to try things out and see how it works.
28
29 Thanks a lot,
30 Mark
31 --