From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 4.7.3 --> 4.8.3
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:52:46
1 Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
4 > > You should be able to just switch to 4.8 without rebuilding anything.
5 > > That's what I did. Of course it can't hurt to rebuild everything, but
6 > > you can schedule that for later (like an overnight rebuild of <at> world
7 > > with --keep-going). It's not critical to do it immediately.
8
9 That's exactly what I did, more or less. All seems fine.
10
11 > I'd have thought you needed to emerge -e world if you really want to be
12 > protected.
13
14 Yea, maybe. I read the man page on emptytree. I get it actually replaces
15 by a "reinstall". Does this do more than if I just reboot after
16
17 emerge @system @world and then reboot?
18
19 I'd be curious to know exactly what reinstall does that is not covered
20 by just starting up a given code again?
21
22 Is it that it forces a reinstall and stop/starts the binary without
23 rebooting?
24
25 Rebooting catches *everything* even better than --emptytree ?
28 James