From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 4.7.3 --> 4.8.3
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 22:23:17
1 On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:52:09 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > I'd have thought you needed to emerge -e world if you really want to
4 > > be protected.
5 >
6 > Yea, maybe. I read the man page on emptytree. I get it actually replaces
7 > by a "reinstall". Does this do more than if I just reboot after
8 >
9 > emerge @system @world and then reboot?
10 >
11 > I'd be curious to know exactly what reinstall does that is not
12 > covered by just starting up a given code again?
13 >
14 > Is it that it forces a reinstall and stop/starts the binary without
15 > rebooting?
16 >
17 > Rebooting catches *everything* even better than --emptytree ?
18
19 --emptytree has nothing to do with rebooting. It simply forces emerge to
20 rebuild everything in @world and their dependencies. Once you have done
21 that, you will have daemons still running the old code, which you could
22 fix with a reboot, or you could run checkrestart and restart only the
23 affected programs.
24
25 After an emerge -e @world, a reboot is probably best, another reason to
26 avoid the unnecessary step of emerge -e @world in the first place.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Top Oxymorons Number 20: Synthetic natural gas