From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 4.7.3 --> 4.8.3
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:51:34
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:52:09 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I'd have thought you needed to emerge -e world if you really want to
5 >>> be protected.
6 >> Yea, maybe. I read the man page on emptytree. I get it actually replaces
7 >> by a "reinstall". Does this do more than if I just reboot after
8 >>
9 >> emerge @system @world and then reboot?
10 >>
11 >> I'd be curious to know exactly what reinstall does that is not
12 >> covered by just starting up a given code again?
13 >>
14 >> Is it that it forces a reinstall and stop/starts the binary without
15 >> rebooting?
16 >>
17 >> Rebooting catches *everything* even better than --emptytree ?
18 > --emptytree has nothing to do with rebooting. It simply forces emerge to
19 > rebuild everything in @world and their dependencies. Once you have done
20 > that, you will have daemons still running the old code, which you could
21 > fix with a reboot, or you could run checkrestart and restart only the
22 > affected programs.
23 >
24 > After an emerge -e @world, a reboot is probably best, another reason to
25 > avoid the unnecessary step of emerge -e @world in the first place.
29 After I do a major upgrade or --emptytree, I switch to boot runlevel,
30 check with checkrestart and restart whatever it reports needs it.
31 Generally, switching to boot runlevel catches most everything.
32
33 Yea, rebooting may be faster but I hate rebooting all the time. :/
34
35 Dale
36