From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 4.7.3 --> 4.8.3
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 20:20:13
1 Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > >> Rebooting catches *everything* even better than --emptytree ?
6 > > --emptytree has nothing to do with rebooting. It simply forces emerge to
7 > > rebuild everything in <at> world and their dependencies. Once you have
8 > > done, you will have daemons still running the old code, which you could
9 > > fix with a reboot, or you could run checkrestart and restart only the
10 > > affected programs.
11
12 Ah, that is what I thought.
13
14 > > After an emerge -e <at> world, a reboot is probably best, another
15 > > reason to avoid the unnecessary step of emerge -e <at> world in the
16 > > first place.
17
18 This conflict what others have said. Curious. My take is that since
19 I updated the major compiler, gcc, it warrants an --emptytree rebuild
20 and reboot, just to be safe. It's a workstation, not a server, so it's
21 time for a reboot, imho.
22
23 > After I do a major upgrade or --emptytree, I switch to boot runlevel,
24 > check with checkrestart and restart whatever it reports needs it.
25 > Generally, switching to boot runlevel catches most everything.
26
27 OK, so I emerge checkrestart and ran it. And there are almost a dozen things
28 it says need a reboot (mostly lxde). "These processes do not seem to have an
29 associated init script to restart them".
30
31 So I have to reboot anyways. Oh, the url on the "checkrestart" script
32 now points to some advertisement that is unrelated, to a bug needs to
33 be file to the github location? I did not know if this is the best new
34 link, so I did not file this bug on checkrestart.
39 > Yea, rebooting may be faster but I hate rebooting all the time. :/
40
41 Agreeded. But after a gcc update, I think it wise, especially since
42 gcc-4.9 cometh....soon?
43
44 > Dale
45