From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 4.7.3 --> 4.8.3
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 05:58:48
1 James wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> After I do a major upgrade or --emptytree, I switch to boot runlevel,
5 >> check with checkrestart and restart whatever it reports needs it.
6 >> Generally, switching to boot runlevel catches most everything.
7 > OK, so I emerge checkrestart and ran it. And there are almost a dozen things
8 > it says need a reboot (mostly lxde). "These processes do not seem to have an
9 > associated init script to restart them".
10 >
11 > So I have to reboot anyways. Oh, the url on the "checkrestart" script
12 > now points to some advertisement that is unrelated, to a bug needs to
13 > be file to the github location? I did not know if this is the best new
14 > link, so I did not file this bug on checkrestart.
18 > *******************
19 >> Yea, rebooting may be faster but I hate rebooting all the time. :/
20 > Agreeded. But after a gcc update, I think it wise, especially since
21 > gcc-4.9 cometh....soon?
22 >
23 >> Dale
24 > thx,
25 > James
29 If checkrestart says there is no init scripts to restart the process,
30 odds are you don't need to really worry about it. That said, I use htop
31 to find out what is running and do what I can to restart them anyway.
32 Usually when I get that message, restarting udev or lvmetad gives me a
33 clean output.
34
35 Usually if a gcc is released that requires all this, it is well known.
36 Any gotchas related to gcc will spread like fire. There is to many
37 people using gcc for something of that nature to sneak by plus the
38 coders usually know this and make it known as well. It's been a good
39 while since the rebuilding of everything has been required. I tend to
40 do it myself but I don't get my hands to dirty over the deal. I usually
41 do it the next time there is a KDE upgrade or something since that
42 rebuilds a lot of packages anyway.
43
44 Just something to ponder on. ;-)
45